Morehead Planetarium Addition & Renovation


Morehead Planetarium Addition & Renovation (Unbuilt)

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC

The building was designed by Eggers and Higgins and constructed in 1949. Located on McCorkle Place, it originally housed the John Motley Morehead Foundation and the first planetarium associated with a university in the United States. The building was expanded in 1974 to include the Morehead Science Center, the Department of Astronomy and the UNC Visitor's Center. The project includes the renovation and modernization of the existing building and a 20,000 square foot addition to the north. The addition, deferential to the historic neoclassical composition, will give the building a new front door on Franklin Street and serve as the point of arrival to the University.